Wednesday, July 4, 2007

STAR SHIP TRAVELINGTEACUPS: Undiscovered Countries

Well Traveling Teacups has made it thru the Undiscovered Countries of Blogging and various emerging or already emerged technology.

At times I didn't know whether or not the aliens ( various technology and or exercises) would get the better of me. But, I muddled thru with the kind help of some of a more advanced race - the techies. The Techies know their world quite well and helped me maneuver thru and around some of the pitfalls I had run into.

Don't get me wrong I had some fun along the way and discovered some alien places that I would visit again - like ZOHO WRITER . Once you enter that world there were a lot of hidden stuff that you could carry into your own time and space. FLICKR was fun to play with, especially merging two or more images together to make another. And ONLINE TOOLS was a cool place, it had all kinds of neat prepared tools that could be used in various application to help you get thru your various daily routines.

This program has taught me never to say no to trying something new, because you never know you just might find the one tool you were looking for to help in accomplishing a project in a more timely manner. Its all in knowing where to look - its thinking outside the bowl as the F.I.S.H. people would say. The surprise to me was that I had fun doing most of the exercise and gave myself a shout of joy when I worked my way thru on my own and saw that it did what it was to suppose to do. There are 2 things I see doing different: one is maybe a shorter number of weeks. I know some people will finish anything in a short amount of time. The other is to offer it in another type of format for those hourly people who really spend 99.9% of their time on the desk. We want all our people well trained and knowledgeable, but sometimes it does and can put a burden on staff in a smaller or extremely busy branch to do this. I do think I would try another discovery program since I have been somewhat technorized and can go where no teacup has gone before.

To describe my learning experience - frustrated, anxious, happy, exhilarated, fearful and amazing discoveries - some worthwhile, other not so. Also built to a degree some team work because some of us had to ask for help from our fellow team members whether they were in your own branch or some other place in the HCPL system.

Star Ship Travelingteacups with Carrottop at the helm is glad they ventured outside the dock and accepted the challenge to go where no teacup has gone before, to learn new and wonderous things offered by the various sites and techies.

So, Carrottop signing off - live long and blog

3 comments:

HCPL Techincal Trainer said...

Congratulations, you closet Trekkie!! Now you can help other staff members with the Learning 2.0 project by checking out their blogs and relating your lessons learned.

IrmBrown said...

Congrats on from me too. You did an awesome job on your blog and I think it's great that you learned so much from the experience. Timing is tough... hope you didn't feel you only had an hour each week as I just finished... I can relate to the time crunch. Way to go. Keep bloggin.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Câmera Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://camera-fotografica-digital.blogspot.com. A hug.